Loohan Forums

This bulletin board is associated with the website loohan.com and its blog.
Anyone can read; just hit the Index tab. Permission is required to post. No agents need apply.
Posts in the wrong category will be relocated.

New registrants: if you try to register you will get a message that we are not accepting new members. Due to the limitations of this forum software which is not designed to deal with incessant CIA harrassment, we have no alternative but to disable automatic registration, and then we can't change this automatic message. Your account needs to be created by admin before you can post in the forums. Because otherwise, almost all registrants are CIA sock puppets. To get a forum account you need to send a brief presentation email to loohanforum at gee mail dot com, also suggesting a user name. Then we can enable you manually. But before you even do that, take a look around the forum and my site and decide whether you REALLY WANT to join/post, before you jack us around. Most seemingly genuine people who apply fail to even ever log in once to change their password after we go through the work of creating a membership for them. Then we must quickly delete their account again lest the CIA has intercepted their temporary password. And of the few who do change their password, most still never post. Maybe they realize we are too weird for them, I don't know. They get real quiet, never to be heard from again.

GLOSSARY: Sometimes unusual terminology or abbreviations are used that with some luck you might find defined here.

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-03 12:36:47

Loohan
Administrator

big crystal molds

Silicone Crystal Tower Resin Molds
There are various eBay vendors for this. The best deal i found for 3 of different sizes is
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144449088439
I have not had a chance to use them yet but they seem impressive. Just got them in.

Actually the 2 smaller ones are the same size except for one being slightly shorter. And maybe 2mm thinner.

#2 2022-08-14 07:27:38

Loohan
Administrator

Re: big crystal molds

DT.8.14.22.jpg
The fact that the 2 smaller ones are so close in size makes them convenient for making double-terminated crystals.
This piece came out slightly skewed (though not very apparent from this angle), presumably because i filled the larger mold too high before setting in the smaller piece. It is probably better to leave at least 3/4" empty at the top to leave enough mold to hold the smaller piece straight.

What i DON'T like about these molds: they should have tapered the shaft sections a bit. This would make the molds much easier to remove. It takes a fair bit of finger strength and effort to peel them off. All you arthritic old ladies out there would probably have to CUT the molds off.

Also, a bit of taper would make the pieces more resemble natural crystals, which would be not only an aesthetic improvement, but in many cases, would allow for better energy dynamics.
Also, peeling them off puts the molds under considerable stress, probably shortening their useful lifespan.

Hopefully someone out there with more of a brain can manufacture similar molds with a better shape.
To make them usable for making DTs, the end sections would have to be parallel but after that the molds could be tapered.

Incidentally, the tip angle is more acute on these than on quartz crystals.

#3 2022-08-15 09:24:14

Diego De La Vegan
Enabled users
Website

Looks pretty good! I ordered a pack of 3 from ebay a couple of weeks ago.

. .. Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if I’m not back by dawn... call the president.. .

#4 2023-10-15 02:00:16

Loohan
Administrator

10.14.23.jpg
The fatter crystal upper left and the gray one upper right were made with these molds.

I discovered that if the cast is short enough, as in the one right, It is easily removed by squeezing it out from the bottom. First i broke away the mold from the cast by pulling the top of the mold apart.
I like the short wide shape and it is much easier to get out than long ones.

The one right was much more difficult but essentially removed the same way. Couldn't fully break it loose the same way.
I always use silicone spray as a lube for silicone molds.

Board footer