Loohan Forums

This bulletin board is associated with the website loohan.com and its blog.
Anyone can read; just hit the Index tab. Permission is required to post. No agents need apply.
Posts in the wrong category will be relocated.

New registrants: if you try to register you will get a message that we are not accepting new members. Due to the limitations of this forum software which is not designed to deal with incessant CIA harrassment, we have no alternative but to disable automatic registration, and then we can't change this automatic message. Your account needs to be created by admin before you can post in the forums. Because otherwise, almost all registrants are CIA sock puppets. To get a forum account you need to send a brief presentation email to loohanforum at gee mail dot com, also suggesting a user name. Then we can enable you manually. But before you even do that, take a look around the forum and my site and decide whether you REALLY WANT to join/post, before you jack us around. Most seemingly genuine people who apply fail to even ever log in once to change their password after we go through the work of creating a membership for them. Then we must quickly delete their account again lest the CIA has intercepted their temporary password. And of the few who do change their password, most still never post. Maybe they realize we are too weird for them, I don't know. They get real quiet, never to be heard from again.

GLOSSARY: Sometimes unusual terminology or abbreviations are used that with some luck you might find defined here.

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-31 16:43:43

Jakub
Enabled users

Low specs computer for web browsing ?

Lately i was rereading a bit on a subject of low emf personal computer/laptop options as i'm looking for new one. I'm aware that more powerful machines will have   higher emf radiation   when idle and even higher   when running games or other programs that need powerful sound/graphics card. I was also taking power consumption into account and if they have wi fi module at all or not.

I looked through some reviewed ? choices from here:    https://www.emfanalysis.com/low-emf-computing/  for example.

I'm wary of buying used electronics as i don't know much choice of online sellers that give any kind of guarantee or have good return policy , what i find most easily with guarantee are post leasing laptops without charger included  that have battered battery(pun intended) and wouldn't last longer than 1 hour, lowest specs i find are some chromeboks with 2-4 gb ram and processors in 1.5-1.8 GHz range      also total costs of needed work on them might be a bit higher than initial purchase and it would be a bit more time consuming etc.

I was   considering buying raspberry pi as they are low spec and don't run on much power, up to date operating system, there are even options without wireless wi-fi/bluetooth module , a bit troublesome to find them but i still see some new models online from official  resellers, though i don't think their prices are justified, especially when we have overpriced everything cause of "shortages" 

Raspberry pi altogether  isn't even that new and there are some alternative  SBC   already, though they can't possibly be better in every aspect ofc.
For example if i focused on finding low power sbc computer without wireless connection i find that those models are a bit dated already compared to other offers of same manufacturers, focusing on name itself they are single boards and when they fail they fail altogether, can't switch out specific  failing card/part like in pc.

I already know that in wi fi aspect its way easier to find pc motherboard without wi fi  than sbc, though when i think about every aspect it reminds me of:  "donkey that, unable to choose between two bales of hay, starves to death"

Also to sum up i never bought any computers myself lol, always using gifted ones.Would appreciate any feedback specific to what i outlined
Will write new post when i remember what essential info i missed...

" I willed it, so I became it"

#2 2023-04-03 00:12:09

BlueBapho
Enabled users

Re: Low specs computer for web browsing ?

Maybe this one, seems ok price, I think there s no wifi nor bluetooth on it.

https://pine64.com/product/rock64-4gb-s … -computer/

#3 2023-06-09 05:13:43

BlueBapho
Enabled users

Found this, some of them have no wifi :

AlternativesToRpi

#4 2023-06-09 10:04:31

Markko
Enabled users

I have raspberry 4 and its ok for basic web browsing, music, movies etc., but it struggles playing youtube videos at higher resolutions (1080p60), even being overclocked to 2.1ghz and having 8gb ram. Problem is that graphic drivers are not completely open sourced.

I would pick some mini computer like intel NUC, Beelink etc. But their price is higher and i dont think you can get one without wifi, power consumption is similar to laptops.

Also raspberry and similar SBCs are using ARM processors mostly, which limits choice of operating systems.

Last edited by Markko (2023-06-09 10:25:45)

Board footer